View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 10:49 PM

Seniorricco,
I started Revlimid on Jan 21. At this time my ANC was at or below .5 and that was a concern -- I was told to go to the hospital if I started to run a fever which I did about a week later. I went to my local hospital and was treated by the ER staff there who called my hematologist/onocologist. I spent 15 hours in ER around all the sick people before they put a mask on me and wisked me off to a hermetically sealed room. I spent another 24 hours there receiving antibiotics through an IV. The hematologist the hospital assigned me did give me shots of some kind of growth factor. My counts improved enough to go home. Over the next couple of weeks my counts dropped as follows:
Platelets 30
HGB 9
HCT 27.4
RBC 2.78
The lowest recording for my whites was 1.7 although my ANC dropped to .2 at one time.
My original dose of 25 mg was reduced to 10 within 3 weeks and later to 5 mg. At one point it was discontinued a few days to allow the counts to recover. When it did start to work it was dramatic. My platelets jumped 50 points in one week. By March all of my counts were normal. My platelets were 148! Revlimid has stopped the progression of the MDS for me. It was the first treatment I tried. It came out just about the time that I was diagnosed.