View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 08:39 PM

Debbie,

thank you for sharing your information. having lower than normal platelets can be disturbing. many of us on the forum have low platelets. i have been livimg with counts between 20k and 35k for about 1 year now. the important considerations are how well your platelets function and whethher or not you experience serious bleeding events, which it sounds like you may have over the last several years. most medical procedures are safe at above 70k platelets according to literature, though dental work can be done at lower numbers. platelet transfusions are an option for medically necessay procedures.

A bone marrow biopsy, while uncomfortable, is not typically a difficult procedure, and it provides the doctor with a wealth of information in a short period of time - like 2 weeks. if you have already been tested fo lupus and other auto-immune diseases, then the bmb makes a lot of sense. this can rule out or diagnose many different issues. knowing the answer has provided me with more peace than the several months of uncertainty i faced early last year. I wish you great health and great luck.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.