View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:14 PM

Daughter of MDS patient

My Mother's story is a long one and since she just recently passed away after 21 months of treatments weekly blood and platelet transfusions at the end. I hope to be able to put it all down into words and post it here.
Since she was diagnosed I have become a hopeful bone marrow doner. I pray for the chance be able to help a patient and their family be together for as long as possible.
I learned so much from her and the doctor's. She taught me how to be strong. But honestly, if we had our choice, I do believe we would have rather read about it instead of being part of it. But we never questioned why. My beautiful Mother never got angry. She just kept going every week for test and or treatments. The doctors learned alot with my Mother, we both knew there would never be a cure for her but one day hopefully everyone will be more familiar with this disease and diagnose it earlier and hopefully one day find a cure.
Everyone with this disease is truly brave as the wrist bracelets states. I am looking into being part of a support group with other family members/caregivers or patient's themselves. My Mom lived with me so I promised I would be with her always and that is what I did. I was very fortunate to work for a company that knew family truly comes first and that my place was with her when needed.
I want to help someone else going through this if I can. Talking with others or having others question me and or just listening has been a positive thing throughout the whole ordeal.
It takes such strength and courage to continue a "normal" way of life if there is such a thing after learning the diagnosis.
Whether you know it or not; you are braver and stronger than you probably realize. God bless all of you and your families.
Beth, daughter of Mary age 75; diagnosed MDS Oct. 2005. Just recently passed away; 21 months after being diagnosed and treated. She was truly an amazing woman who never gave up and never questioned why.