View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 29, 2009, 02:20 AM

Yes, my problems with my spleen started during my first tx Nov 2007. It was very painful and it also burned, the doctor at that time dismissed it saying it was probably a mild allergic reaction to the tx. It has never gone away since then, at best I am uncomfortable and aware of it (if that makes sense). It is always the worst during and after a tx, but I haven't had a tx since July of 2008 and it continues to be a problem. Some days it is very painful and I don't want to do much or can't do much. It is also common for it to cause me to lose a lot of sleep.
My MDS doc palps it everytime I see him and when he does it is very painful and tender. I have had a couple of CT's, they say it is mildly enlarged.

I have MDS/MPD RCMD with Fibrosis, I do know that the MPD causes a lot of spleen problems/enlargements, but it seems that many people with MDS have have it too.

It is my understanding that the Spleen and the Liver will start producing RBC's when the marrow is failing. Also the Spleen has a harder time filtering the dead/dying cells therefore filling up with them, which would certainly explain why it is distress and causing us pain or discomfort.

I will find some of the articles that I have read and post the links for you.

Lynn