View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 15, 2006, 12:47 PM

Unhappy

Hi Gina and Andrea,

Thanks for your messages. I did have a bone marrow, 3 of them, way back in 1991 and 1992 and I was NOT diagnosed with anything. I think the problem was that back then, my red cell count was normal and my white cell count was just slightly below normal, so I did not have AA then. The doctors literally did not know what to call it and decided they would just monitor me until things changed, which they did.

I had no idea, Andrea, that you have had AA for so long. While I hate that that is the case, I am thrilled to hear that you have survived it for so long. It gives me a great deal of hope. Have you been transfusion independent this whole time, or only during your remissions? I am now at the point where my iron is getting extremely high and I am worrying about the number of transfusions I am getting. What is the alternative though?

A BMT is an option for me, I think. My doctors have done an initial search for potential matches and came up with a long list of people who have at least 10alleles in common with me. I think my age, 38, and the number of transfusions I have had, about 40, makes a BMT less likely to be successful. My low counts are due to both the disease and my recent treatment with Campath (July, 06). I do not have a sibling match for a BMT, but have stored the cord blood from my niece in the event that that technology ever becomes the norm.

Lucky for me I have not gotten sick despite my low wbc and neutrophil counts. I observe strict handwashing, do not go to the mall, movies, grocery, or any other avoidable public place. I am still on the fence about stopping working. I have decided to not think about it for a spell while my head clears.

I'm looking forward to reading your story Andrea. Mine is posted on the AA forum, way back at te beginning if you ever need something to do. Best wishes to you both. Take care.

Mark