View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 19, 2010, 04:14 PM

MDS secondary to chemo from BMT?

Hi Everyone:

My name is Tamir. I had PNH in 2004 and had a BMT which cured me of the PNH in July 2004.

I've had moderate to severe Chronic GVHD since the transplant. Right now, I've had moderate to severe Neutropenia for the last 5 weeks with no explanation so far. The initial theory was that this new Neutropenia was as a result of a side effect of my latest primary anti GVHD drug that I've been on, Gleevec.

However, I've been off the Gleevec now for well over the time that it's supposed to stay on your system and still impact you, yet the neutropenia is still there.

So far there are no other unusual cells in my blood, which is good news. However we're taking the wait and see approach for now.

One possibility, although very unlikely, is sone secondary blood disorder as a result of the chemo from the BMT. MDS is top of that unlikely scenario.

Have any of you got MDS or heard of someone getting MDS secondary to the chemo from a BMT? Is this really even a remote possibility do you think?

Second question is did any of your MDS' start with just a low white cell count, and no other symptoms and if so, how long did it take for further symptoms to show up, starting the process of the docs looking at MDS as a possibility?

Thanks a lot
Tamir