View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 9, 2013, 09:39 AM

Iron overload and elevated liver enzymes

I am posting on this thread because I can't find where to begin a new topic. My husband has iron overload due to 140 transfusions prior to transplant. He has been doing phlebotomy for 3 years and his ferritin is still over 1000. It will drop to 700 and then jump to 1000. He is doing phlebotomy everyother week and they take 500 mls each time. Since doing this, his HGB has gone from 19 to 15. My question is, can phlebotomy cause elevated liver enzymes? His jumped up this past couple weeks after having been stable for months. He has had a liver biopsy and MRI of the liver and he does have considerable iron in his liver. I have read that iron overload can cause elevated liver enzymes and am wondering if this is what is going on. We are in Florida and not seeing the the transplant doctor, but we are in contact with her. Have any of you had experience with this problem? I am off to church, but will check back this afternoon. Thank you in advance for any input.
Mary, wife of Mike age 70; diagnosed MDS RARS 1999. Tried Vidaza, Revlimid, and Dacogen. SCT 10/1/09 at U of MI; induction FluBu2; sister perfect match donor. 5 years out, little to no GVHD. Off all meds. God is good