View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 01:55 PM

Charles, to answer a couple of questions a good source is the "Be the Match.org".

https://bethematch.org/support-the-c...donation-faqs/

The actual stem cell transplant is quite uneventful. I slept through most of mine (it happened around midnight). I received cells from a 20 year-old male from Germany. I went into the transplant with A+ blood type and came out as O+. The pre-transplant regime can be different for people depending on your exact situation. My pre-transplant chemo took four days and was referred to as a "mini-transplant". Yours will be somewhat different because of your age and that is a good thing. Throughout the whole process I experienced no pain, but I was tired. You would experience different sensations that would be new for you. Food will taste differently, appetite will be temporarily different, your sense of smell will most likely be enhanced and a few other temporary sensations. Patience will be important.

There are many on this forum who have had the transplants and the range of experiences vary greatly.