View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 10:48 PM

Just to echo what hopeful wrote as far as relative situations w/ ANC, my spouse's has only measured over .9 or 1 maybe one time over the past several years, and during that time he has worked full time, we've traveled abroad several times and even lived abroad for six months, he's eaten as much raw food as he wants, etc. At issue is not just the ANC count but the marrow's ability to churn out more of them when the situation demands and also how well the ones you do have actually work.

My spouse also has abnormalities with his immunoglobulins (IGG, IGM, IGA, etc.), but even so he has stayed pretty healthy up until this recent bout of illnesses. (He's scheduled for a chest x-ray this week.) He definitely needs more sleep than he used to before all this started, including an afternoon nap, and I think the fact that he has been willing to get that extra sleep (and eat well and exercise regularly but not excessively) has helped.

Btw, you were asking earlier about retic counts. Because my spouse's red cell counts have generally been relatively quite good (around 3.2 at diagnosis I think it was, and now around 3.7 after extensive iron supplementation) we don't focus on them, but I just looked back at his records and see that his retic counts are consistently between 25 and 35 on a scale of 12 to 130, for what that's worth.

I can see why at present you would feel some stress at what appears to be a trend of decreasing ANC counts, but that particular number can be influenced by factors such as time of day the lab work is done (we find that my husband's counts come back lower if he does blood work early in the morning as opposed to right after lunch), whether he has just exercised, and so on, just as hopeful suggests.

Take care.