View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 5, 2015, 12:13 PM

Chem or not chemo?

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. Even having not seen your replies and experiences until now, I was coming around to the idea of "doing both" myself - especially as I am currently reading "Anti-Cancer, A new way of life" by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber.

The good Dr. was a neuro-scientist (researcher) and physician himself who discovered he had brain tumors. His book is all about changing your lifestyle and diet to a healthier one, at the same time as continuing with modern medicine such as chemo and surgery, but he writes it from a personal, memoire like perspective. Quite touching in parts and not too scientific to follow, he did at least finish the book before the Cancer finally won the battle.

The main premise of the book is that we all have cancers within us, it is just that our immune systems normally keep them from developing into anything more than a pinhead at best. When the immune system gets compromised, then the cancers are free to develop and those cells feed on the sugars and other 'nutrients' in our food. It is the modern (Western) diet and lifestyle that is at fault here (many types of cancer have quadrupled since WW2), and the more we can do ourselves to get back to a more natural, less processed diet and a less stressed lifestyle, the better off we will be.

To chemo or not to chemo? The answer is yes, but in tandem with natural remedies and lifestyle changes - if we fight it on two fronts, we've a much better chance of defeating the enemy (cancer) than we have with just the one weapon alone.