View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 6, 2014, 02:14 PM
Owner

Optimistic,

Your username is your best weapon. In the face of the unknown it really helps to be an optimist.

It's certainly unfortunate that your AA keeps returning. But here's what I see on the bright side: Despite the eventual reoccurrences, your AA has responded to treatment. Progression has been slow so conservative treatments have been possible. A repeat of the horse ATG remains a choice. You're young, which is an advantage with any treatment approach. There has been amazing progress with partial-match transplants since my wife had her transplant, so having mixed ethnicity is no longer a prohibitive factor, as it once was. I assume that you made it through your pregnancy and delivery despite your low blood counts, and that deserves congratulations.

Many transplant patients get GVHD, but it's often mild, can fade over time, and medications can help. Many post-transpant patients go back to they normal lives despite some residual chronic GVHD, and some don't have symptoms of it at all.

If they find a donor for you and can arrange a transplant to cure your aplastic anemia once and for all, your biggest practical concern might be arranging the necessary help from your family members and for your family members. Dad will likely have his hands full caring for both you and a baby without some assistance from family, close friends, or even hired help. It's too soon to work out the details, but it's worth keeping your entire family informed and aware that their help may be needed.

Please let us know what happens with your donor search and your ongoing treatment.