View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 10, 2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret W View Post
It took about 4 months for the hATG that I had to cause a tiny uptick in my counts, but the full effect didn't occur for a couple of years. I was still having weekly transfusions two years later. I think everyone's bone marrow and disease react differently to ATG.
Interesting. I read this about someone else on here.

My mother has had transfusions for over a year since ATG. Her neutrophils went up to 1200 for about 3-4 months and then dropped down to to 600. They seem to be trending upwards again. Who know?

Her platelets are consistently very low.

My mother has not gotten weekly blood transfusion since ATG. She sometimes goes every 14-21 days, or every 7 -11. There is still no pattern to her blood line.

She did have a real response in the neutrophil line, so ATG was doing something.

We are thinking about doing Campath, but we are going to wait a few more months. We were told that ATG could take a very long time to work because of her age. It could take closer to two years to get a real response in the platelet and blood line, even though the neutrophils came up to 1200 nine months after ATG. So, my mother has shown to be a very, very slow responder, but a responder indeed, at least in the neutrophil line. Dr. Young confirmed this with my mother's current hematologist.

With aplastic anemia, you never know. It's a very mysterious disease. Dr. Young said that he is still mystified with it.