View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 01:15 AM

Unhappy New Member and Have Questions...

Good Evening All!

Bear with me, this is a long post, and appreciate any help! Thanks!

My name is Casi, I'm 28 and live in a desolate area of Wyoming. I have a few questions, but would first like to share a little bit of what's going on with my chaotic health.

About two and a half years ago at my work we had a blood drive and I wanted to donate blood. They had me fill out paperwork and then the nurse pricked my finger to do a quick check before going on to donating (I'm not sure what the machine is called or what this procedure is called; I have terrible memory!) She ran the first test and had a confused look on her face and then said, "HMMPH, let me get more blood. I think this one was an error." She pricked a different finger for the second test and ran it and when it was done, she had that confused look on her face and said, "Well, that's strange. It's still saying the same number. I have never seen red blood cells that low. I'm sorry, but you can't donate because you're anemic. Please take our pamphlet that gives information on foods that contain iron." That was the end of it, and at the time I didn't think anything of it and continued on about my day. I always knew I was anemic because most of my life I have been. I also knew that I have to eat foods that contain iron and I was advised to take supplements. I have tried taking multiple kinds of iron, and with each of them, they make me feel incredibly sick.

Later on, I noticed that gradually my menstrual cycle had become irregular and extremely heavy. My periods would last for more than a week and then stop. Then to make it more frustrating, I no long have a normal period. It's very sporadic and can last from 7-14 days, stop a few days, and then start all over again. I've had my yearly paps and each time they say everything is normal. Other symptoms I have been having is easy bruising, heart palpitations, and ringing ears (which within the last few months it has started). I'm always cold and it could be 90 degrees and I'm bundled up. People I work with even think I'm nuts. Around two years ago, I developed pain in my shoulder and thought I had torn my rotator from exercising. Had done an MRI and everything seemed fine according to my doctor. Now, the pain has become worse and now I can feel it in my ribs and down my shoulder blade. I'm not sure if this is related to whatever else is going on with my body, but with everything going on, I feel like I wreck! I've always been exhausted, and if I could get away with it, I would sleep FOR DAYS! I used to be extremely active and exercised regularly with no problem before. At work, I would do tasks that required lifting, moving around, and there had been times I had to stop to take a breather because I felt like passing out. I used to run miles each day before, and just recently I tried running two miles and I felt like I was going to pass out and/or throw up (which I never felt before). I recently did a Tough Mudder race in September 2014, and yes it's grueling, but I spent months before to prepare for it. I completed the race, but the next two weeks, it took a major toll on my body. I wish I could share the picture of my legs the morning after the race. I had major bruises ALL over. Once again, I thought, "ok it's just my anemia."

I recently went to the doctor last week about my issues and my doctor seemed to be puzzled and wanted me to do a CBC. He thinks its a thyroid issue and he is at a loss as to why my shoulder hurts so bad (it keeps me up at night, EVERY NIGHT). When I searched my anemia symptoms I have been having, aplastic anemia came up as a possibility.

My question is, how long does it take to do a CBC and get results? I had my blood taken this Monday, and I haven't heard anything (which is a good sign, right?) I live in a VERY small town, population 2,700, with a very poor medical system. There's other personal stories as to why they have a bad reputation. I'm wondering though if it's a life threatening ordeal like aplastic anemia, would the doctor contact me right away? I've read several stories of people diagnosed with AA and they say their doctor contacted them right away, within that day. Does this always happen usually? The clinic here takes forever and sometimes forgets to contact people about results.

I apologize for such a lengthy post, and I know I may be jumping the gun and over-worrying. I feel like now, I'm left in the dark with so many questions and I don't know if this clinic is going to actually catch a problem if I do have one. The reason being, is 5 years ago I had lost my sister-in-law to leukemia and she went to the exact same clinic SEVERAL times to different doctors about her symptoms and pain. No one caught it until it was too late.

Perhaps in my case, it's just regular anemia but I feel like my body is slowly running into the ground. I don't feel like how I used to. I try my best to eat healthy, and even with that, I still feel so run-down.

I'm glad there is a forum, and like I stated in the beginning, I'm grateful for anyone who takes the time to read my "worries". Any suggestions or advice are appreciated!!! Also, it's great to see AA patients pull out of their disease and to live a wonderful life. Bless all of you!

-Casi