View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 02:37 AM

Happy Re-Birthday!

Dear DanL,

Congratulations on your one year re-birthday! I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well and having success with treating the many issues that you have had to fight post-transplant! It is wonderful that you feel so strongly that you made the right treatment decisions for you - I think that can make it easier to endure the bumps and hurdles when you truly believe you did what was best for you!

When my dad was first diagnosed with MDS, I was upset that he was not eligible for a transplant as he was a very active 80 year old with no other medical issues, and it seemed as though he might do as well as patients who are younger. However, after seeing how much low-dose Vidaza affected him and hearing about all the realities of the transplant process, I am glad he did not have to make the choice to try a transplant. I think it would have made things much harder (or worse) for him. I truly admire all of you that have had to make that very scary choice of trying a transplant with all of its risks and long-term issues or living with a disease that can turn on you at any moment. You and all the other on this forum are incredibly courageous people!

So, congratulations and here's to many more happy re-birthdays for you to enjoy!