View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2016, 11:07 AM

Hi - Good question to ask your doctors - if they aren't too worried than you shouldn't be.

I did not have a haplo/chord - but did consider it until we found a matched donor.

My transplant was also bone marrow - not stem cells.

From what I learned about the haplo transplant- it does generally take longer than a conventional transplant - bone marrow transplants also take longer than peripheral blood stem cells. In my case the number of stem cells harvested was about half what they would normally prefer - and it took me quite a while to engraft and start making my own blood cells - I can't remember exactly how long, but 16 days doesn't sound too bad. After 140+ days and some GVHD my counts have really just started to go up. At one point (maybe after a couple of weeks) they were considering asking the donor for more stem cells, which i really did not want to do - and fortunately didn't need. I also had myelofibrosis which also slowed things down -

With umbilical stem cells the number of stem cells can also be relatively small - and I understand the early phases can be difficult and take a while - but the risk of graft v. host is very small and the ultimate outcomes can be very good. As I'm learning - whatever kind of transplant - one has to learn patience - nothing happens as fast as you'd like.

Hang in there -

Best,
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015