View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 2, 2011, 04:21 PM
Owner

Pat,

I wish you and Ron the best of luck. The rent may be high but Stanford is a great place for treatment. I'm surprised that they are waiting another 6 weeks before the mini-transplant when the course has been set and donors are available.

Congratulations on the sibling match. Having two sibling matches is extra insurance. They might choose his brother over his sister if she has had children, but I'm not sure what other factors they consider if two equally matched donors are available. Perhaps you could let us know once they decide, since other forum members may wonder about the same thing.

Unlike many patients who don't understand what's happening to them and how drugs can help (or hurt), Ron's medical experience gives you an edge. His otherwise good health is another positive. There are ups and downs for just about every patient, but I hope he sails through the transplant with minimal problems.

I guess after 2 years you've accepted the apparent coincidence of both your father and husband having the same rare syndrome, but that's rather shocking to hear. You are right about the progress over the years. My wife survived her transplant for MDS/RA 12 years ago and the procedures are much more refined and the success rates higher now.