View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 25, 2010, 02:55 PM

Long Week...

We're still waiting on the Revlimid process for Ron to begin his much needed treatment to help his MDS condition. Evidently it can take up to 2 wks or more, and it will have been 2 wks on July 27, 2010. Since establishing the fact Ron requires new treatment, he developed a high fever last weekend, and Sunday evening, and became very weak. I took him to the Emergency Room (ER) at the recommendation of the standby Oncologist. The doctor believed Ron may require a transfusion and it was important to see his counts asap as well as treat for infection due to the fever being present.

It was 7:45pm when we arrived, 10pm when we were taken to the back, and midnight before I blew my stack. I lost it right there in the ER. Well, lets just say, they quickly drew Ron's blood and then we waited until 1:30am and there I went again, to the front, asking who was assigned to my husband, what were the counts, when would we see a doctor. Etc. etc.... well, 10 min later, we met our doctor and she was very apologetic. As many of you out there already know, "communication is the key". If they would tell us what's going on and what to expect, etc., then it would be so bad.

Well, Ron was FINALLY admitted in patient, and continued to be treated with antibiotics and did require a blood transfusion. (2 units). The fever never broke, but, after 4 days and all clean cultures of bacteria and a few viruses that were checked, they decided the fever must be due to the MDS itself. Of course, we would never know that, and it's important to treat for infection before something gets out of control. Ron was given predisone to settle things down and keep the fever controlled until the revlimid protocol is started. (Fingers crossed it will be soon). He already is back down to 8.7 HGB and Hematcrit down to 25%, so, they're bringing Ron back in tomorrow (Mon) for blood counts, and again Wed this next week.

But, the scarest thing was Monday in the hosp when they announced that Ron had blasts in his blood now, and they expected that to mean Luekemia. Thanks be to God that it was a false alarm, and while we awaited the news after he got the BMB in the hospital, our devotional verse was from Isaiah 40:31 (KJV): "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."

Ron was released Friday afternoon, and we're so thankful to be home, but are anxiously awaiting to get back on a treatment that brings his energy back.... He was sent home with a prescription to continue oral antibiotics (Augmentin), 875mg every 12 hrs, and prednisoLone 10mg once per day. Ron continues to take Acyclovir for shingles prevention.

We keep praying....

Hugs, Cindy

I try to be very patient, but, at some point, you have just got to step up and ask questions, etc. I told them they needed to draw his blood and do it really quick,
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.

Last edited by launch : Sun Jul 25, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: mentioned treatment at home (Meds)