View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2007, 07:48 PM

this is the first time i have read this thread! thanks neil for such good advice even though, my caregiving days are mostly over, thank goodness

just to pick up on a couple of points... i was very fortunate that many people asked how i was. even shane's doctors. i remember the time whilst receiving platelets, he went into shock and i pressed the emergency button. the entire staff came charging in and attended to shane. but the doc turned his head to me and asked "how's mum?" and later put his arm around me and told me how well i coped with it - bless him.

and when bumping into people, they would always say "if there's anything i can do" to which i never asked for anything in the early days at least. but as time went on, i started to ask politely if they wouldn't mind picking up my little one from nursery, or having my older one for dinner after school. i was surprised at how they jumped at the chance to help and i think they were happy to actually be involved in helping us all as a family. i remember getting a text message from one mum saying how thrilled she was that i had asked for her help. i had family to help, but decided to ease the burden on them by having the other two boys scattered around occasionally - the boys enjoyed it too.

so there you go!

gina xxx