View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicid View Post
for two months my father dont take platelet transfusion, and his last measurement of platelet is 30k. on the other hand he is continuing to take blood transfusions every 2 weeks. creatinin levels are increasing, his drugs are sandimmun and exjade. Also has hip pain I dont know why, can MDS/AA coexists with multiple myeloma
Hi there,

My son had an extremely serious reaction to cyclosporin (sandimmune is same drug) after his BMT for AA. It's a rare reaction called Microangiopathy and docs often don't recognize it. Rising platelets, extreme drop in red blood cells, and increasing creatinine levels are all signs of this. Ask your father's doctors about this, ask if he has "red cell fragments on the smear", ask to have an LDH level done, and if this is routinely done anyway, ask if this LDH level is high. These are diagnostic factors for Microangiopathy and if your father has this, he'll need to be switched to another immunosuppressant that is NOT a calcineurin inhibitor (cyclosporin, tacrolimus) like Cellcept.

This may not be your father's situation at all but I wanted to pass these ideas along.

Best wishes,
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil