View Single Post
Old Sun May 8, 2011, 02:10 AM

Finding support during treatment

I'm a single woman, who's starting to realise the reality of my MDS and future treatment options. My Doctors talk to me about finding support, even someone to care for me during transplant etc. I am planning to move back to Brisbane soon (in another state) to be closer to my family, but my Mum is the only one sort of available to help me. However, she also cares for my Dad with Muscular Dystrophy. He is now eligable for emergency respite if needed - he has "high care" needs.

I am really not wanting to burden her with all of MY stuff too. His respite has always been there to give her a rest. Not to care for me. Are there options for single people like me to get support during treatment? Community nurses may be able to help a little. Any ideas?

If I don't have enough support, would they not go ahead with treatment? They said I can't really do this on my own. I'm really not sure what to do. My last hospital visit has made me a bit stressed out about it. I need to have a plan, my Dr said.

Thanks for any input. Julie
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.