View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 02:27 PM

Dacogen user

May I interject my "2 cents" here. Patti, my counts also came up pretty quickly (3 months) and my doctor has not once used the word "remission". My understanding is that you continue on dacogen or vidaza to keep your counts stabilized so that you become "transfusion independent" and no longer need procrit, neuprogen, etc. Now that my blood counts are pretty stablized except for "grans", my doctor is very conservative about changing schedule or dosage. But, she has, however, agreed to space out my schedule to 4 weeks off, and then 1 week of treatment, this is after 3 years of treatments. My understanding is to stay on this type of drug as long as it continues to keep your bloodwork stable.

On the other hand, each MDS patient I have met in my support group and from those here online, everyone is different, either in their subtype, chromosomal abnormalities, %blasts, age, other health issues, etc. Good to always get a second opinion if there are any doubts.

Good luck to you and your husband!