View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 11:50 AM

Hello rar - We also live in Colorado and have appointment with CBCI in Denver tomorrow, as we are considering a SCT. My husband just turned 69. He was diagnosed with MDS in 2012. Unfortunately it turned to AML with 35% blasts in December 2013. He is now home, blasts reduced to 2% with induction chemo.

My best thought is have a doctor you trust with your best interests in mind. One that will answer all your questions without hesitation and give you all the facts. MDS is a roller coaster. This site is very helpful and at times gives you more information than you can take in all at once, but that's a good thing. I also suggest that you take someone with you to your appointments as we all hear different things. My husband calls me the scribe, as I write everything down so we make sure to remember all topics covered.

CherylC - thanks for the link to the Dana Farber report. It is close to what the doctor told us. Statistics are only a representation of what can/has happened. But since my husband almost didn't survive the induction chemo the stats weigh heavily on our mind.

DanL - I have followed your posts and am happy to hear what a great facility CBCI has and their care. We will be discussing the pros/cons for my hubby tomorrow and then make our decision.

Peachy
Husband 69 dx MDS/RARS 4/2012,Arenasp 2013; dx RAEB-1 5% Blasts - transfusions, Vidaza - BMB 12/2013 35% blasts - dx AML M6b (Pure Erythroleukemia) - Induction/Consolidate complete Aug 2014 - BMB 5%; Not accepted for BMT ; New BMB 18% Blasts with dropping whites and platelets avg HGB 9