View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 1, 2010, 03:39 PM

GREG

Hi Greg and wife :-)

No, just common sense type things. In fact, I teach in a fairly large high school. Left the NIH on a Friday, and went back to work on that Monday. I used, and still do, hand sanitizer all the time. I try not to share things that other people touch. If I have company, (and I did not have any little family members visit for the entire 1st year), I ask people to use hand sanitizer when they come over. I used bacterial wipes on things like refrigerator handles, that anyone in the house may touch a lot. But, no, no masks or other meds. I did have Tamiflu on hand, just in case I thought I had the flu....

I avoided the kitty litter and didn't go crazy about petting the pets although I was told that the dog and cat were fine.

Ask your doc before you leave about diet. While you are there, you get 'special food' not from the regular kitchen. Things are washed more, etc. So, you do want to be careful about washing fruits and veggies, and even some things take the skin off. I wouldn't eat out for a period of time; and you do want to avoid processed foods like deli meats, etc., but they will tell you and give you a list of all this when you leave.

If you want to see a dietician while you are there, I'm sure they would arrange that. Someone to spell things out more precisely. You can also have a visit from clergy while there. While I didn't ask for it, their rabbi came and visited me twice, and I have to say, it was a wonderful thing, (given my mental state of mind!)

Hope this answers your questions, and then some.

Best of luck!

Lisa Z