Thread: Gene Testing?
View Single Post
Old Sat Jun 18, 2011, 10:08 PM

Gene Testing?

I was wondering if Anyone has ever had gene testing done? I'm seeing a Bone marrow transplant Doctor at the University of florida at Shands Hospital in Gainesville.. Its a teaching and research hospital.. The doctor wants to do some gene testing on me to figure out how I got this blood disorder and why? And i was wondering if anyone on here has had that done & if your blood disorder came from a gene that was passed on when you were born, Or something that caused it like a Virus? or a certain type of medicine you were taking in the past?
I go in Aug to meet with the gene testing Doctor at Shands And i'm anxious to see what happens I hope they can come up with some answers and also my doctor wants to do some type of testing to see if I ever were to have kids someday to see if I could pass this blood disorder on.
25 yrs old, Diagnosed with Pure Red Cell Aplasia in January 1999 At age 13, Monthly blood transfusions of Red blood cells Every 4 weeks, Takes Exjade 1750 MG. Started Horse ATG 6/20/11; Taking Cyclosporine 200MG twice a Day!