Thread: Gene Testing?
View Single Post
Old Sun Jun 19, 2011, 08:23 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori. K View Post
I was wondering if Anyone has ever had gene testing done? I'm seeing a Bone marrow transplant Doctor at the University of florida at Shands Hospital in Gainesville.. Its a teaching and research hospital.. The doctor wants to do some gene testing on me to figure out how I got this blood disorder and why? And i was wondering if anyone on here has had that done & if your blood disorder came from a gene that was passed on when you were born, Or something that caused it like a Virus? or a certain type of medicine you were taking in the past?
I go in Aug to meet with the gene testing Doctor at Shands And i'm anxious to see what happens I hope they can come up with some answers and also my doctor wants to do some type of testing to see if I ever were to have kids someday to see if I could pass this blood disorder on.
Hi I had AA which is now Hypo MDS as I have a genetic abnormality, called Trisomy 15. My Doctor explained that this would not have been a gene I was born with and it would not be inherited by my children. It simply means that the AA/MDS has corrupted my genetic code. They called it cyto genetics. I was told they do it to "stage" your disease and also to see which gene is affected as this can affect diagnosis. They should also test you for viruses, as these can be responsible for causing blood disorders as can some medicines. Mine were done from a bone marrow biopsy. Its a good thing to get this testing done cos it can help with getting the best treatments. Good luck