View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 8, 2015, 06:27 PM

I've been told the same thing - that I looked quite 'yellow'. I know this may sound funny but I feel it changes a lot, from pale to yellow/ashen to pink (and often in the same day!). It became really quite distressing for me and I think it impacted my interactions with people, becoming more shy, less social than I otherwise have been. (Liver tests and all that have been consistently normal).

But in the last year, it's become especially apparent to me as my Hgb has largely recovered in this time and a more 'normal' complexion has returned; people have been commenting on how 'much better' or 'well' I look and I can clearly see it -- not so yellow anymore.

I think it is an often under-appreciated sign of profound anemia; as I live and work in a busy large city, every day I am in crowds - on the train, the street, the bus - and I observe people's complexion more. From time-to-time, I will notice the same pallor in the faces of others and quietly hope they are getting their blood tested.