View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 29, 2015, 11:26 PM

AA 7 months post ATG - wait or BMT?

I have just been using this forum for information and this is my first post. My wife 62 had a large thymoma removed at MD Anderson in Houston last December with no problems. In Feb of 2015 I took her to the ER and she had very low blood counts. In March she did ATG and has been on cyclosporine, Promacta, all the anti medications and has been transfusion dependent. Her neutrophils started staying between .65 and .95 in July. Her platelets started holding between 13 and 19 since August. She is now going 20 days or so between RBC transfusions (2 units at a time). She has had 38 units of RBC and her serum ferritin is 3300. They have been doing BMBs all along and even though her cellularity is now 0-40% they are recommending going with a BMT. She has no related donor but has 3 unrelated donors at 10/10. We are trying to make a decision to either go with it, watch and wait some more or get another ATG with rabbit this time. Anybody have any advice? Anyone with AA had a BMT at MD Anderson over 60 yrs old and did ok? Thanks so much for all of you willing to contribute. I will also start if I can help in any way.
Mickey - husband of Gail (62) - thymoma B1 stage 2b removed completely 12/2014- diagnosed VSAA March 2015; ATG & Promacta March 2015; minimal response. Unrelated BMT 12/16/2015; 10/10 donor 25 yr old female angel with same blood type.