View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 08:36 PM

Football risk

I'm not a doctor but I really think football is out of the question with a low platelet count, even after a transfusion (the counts may still not be high enough to prevent injury, or, if enough time has passed, the count may have dropped to a critical level). It's not the external bleeding as much as it is the possibility of intra(er?)cranial bleeding from exertion and impact.

When I saw Dr Young at NIH, I asked him about my vulnerability in a car accident with a platelet count in the 20's. He said that as long as my clotting is not impaired, I should be fine: low platelets is not the same as hemophilia. He said he would be far more concerned about bleeding in the head.

My own experience with the stress of simple vomiting with low platelets is that my face bruises and my eyes get bloodshot, which takes days to clear up.

Just my 2 cents.

My very best wishes for your kids!!! Dr Young at NIH is definitely a good way to go!
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.