View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 12, 2011, 08:03 AM

Wow again.

Thank you all so much. I missed reading these posts before I posted again. Very good points, especially on my Dx. I will ask my doc at my next appt. why he is considering this MDS and not AA -- I've been meaning to do that. I will also ask about the EPO & G-CSF together. Regarding growth factors or transfusions as "treatments", that terminology is my mistake. My doc did point out that these are not really "treatments", but merely supportive measures.

Where I always get tripped up, reading these posts, though, is the do-I-or-don't-I question. By nature, as I mentioned, I am extremely drug averse, and I feel like going there is a slippery slope, to be avoided as long as possible. But then I read about the many who have gone there, some quite successfully. If I wasn't used to being so active, I wouldn't even debate this, but I selfishly still want to function at a higher aerobic level than I now can. My doc hears that, and is suggesting that, if I want to, occasional transfusions, or trying growth factors may be a stop-gap way to get a RBC boost, and see how it goes. (I am concerned, too, about the monetary cost, which I need to look into.) He says that if my counts allow, I don't have to keep doing either of these -- it's not a commitment. But a little voice in my head keeps saying, don't even go there. Thanks again for your posts!

marmab