View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 1, 2010, 01:14 PM

Avoiding infections

Hi Chirley,
Since I had neutropenic fever Sept 2007 I have lived as I have neutropenia though my counts are normal because I have been taking 2 Neupogen injections/week. As far as I know I have not had any infections since Sept 2007.

There are many sites about living with neutropenia. Here is one:
http://www.cancercenter.com/newslett...newsletter.cfm

We all know that we should avoid crowds (more than 8 persons), sick people etc. Don't use public lavatories. I only travel in my own car. I meet my youngest grand child outdoors. When I take care of him in the afternoons the staff at the day care unit put on his cloths and take him outside because I dare not go inside the day care unit.

Then I only eat cooked food and fruits that I peel myself.

We have to avoid all kinds of mold and other agents in the air as squirrellypoo wrote. Don't dig in the soil, don't cut grass, don't go near constructions like new buildings where they are working and the air can contain dust.

You love your dogs and I love my persian cats . When I comb them I use a mask and when I take care of their litter box I use gloves and mask. I drive one of my grand children to the stable once a week. I keep away from hay and all kinds of things that perhaps will fly in the air and infect my lungs.

We have all kinds of bacteria, virus and other agents in our body and when the neutrophils are very low they will attack us even if we are isolated .

Your bleeding gums could depend on that your platelets are dysfunctional. I use a very, very soft toth brush and never a mouth wash with alcohol.

I think you are right when you think that your doctor is waiting for a BMB - when I had neutropenic fever they started with Neupogen as soon as they had done a BMB.

Really good that you finally stopped working ! I don't think you have to stay indoors even if it is autumn - to take a walk outside every day and see the nature is good for everybodys health.

Happy Easter to all members of this forum!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A