View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Audrey,

Do you know why your mother wasn't treated with ATG initially? Unless there's a contraindication, it's almost always the first-line treatment for newly diagnosed aplastic anemia patients.

Given the unclear advice from your mother's hematologist and nephrologist, you might want to see another hematologist for a second (third?) opinion. Have you spoken to Dr. Charles Parker at the University of Utah School of Medicine? He's a known expert with a focus on aplastic anemia.
Hi Neil! Thank you for your response.
I'm not entirely sure why they didn't treat her right away. I believe it was because of her kidney and wanting to use it as a last resort, but that's purely speculation on my part. My mom isn't sure either.

She did go to the Huntsman Cancer Institute in Utah to be seen there. The doctor told her she was non-critical and sent her on her way with a cyclosporine prescription. Her counts have been decreasing since being on it (almost 8 weeks now) and every time she tries to get in contact they tell her they're not managing it and she should speak to her hematologist at home. Also, her hematologist wanted her to move up the ATG treatment and to get off cyclosporine but Utah hasn't returned her calls to push up the appointment. She is currently seeking another opinion elsewhere and was just approved for the University of WA and the Mayo Clinic I believe, so fingers crossed we can get her there soon. Not trying to say Utah is neglecting her, I'm sure they have their hands full.

Last edited by Shroob : Thu Jun 2, 2022 at 12:44 AM.