View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 5, 2008, 12:43 PM

Pop Up-Date 8/5/2008

Hello from Murphy, NC.

Pop received his blood test today. The nurse called him just as they were walking through the door after leaving the hospital. They live 5 miles away. His Platelets are 5 and Hemoglobin 7.5; that would explain the reoccurring nose bleeds and the length of time to stop them. He will be on twice weeklies soon, if not this week. Last week {Wednesday} his Platelet count was 63 after the transfusion. He must be dropping below or at 20 by Friday. This confirms that his body is attacking the platelets. Tomorrow he gets 2 units of blood and one Platelet again. He had asked if 2 Platelets would help, and they told him 1 or 2, his body would attack them just the same. He will need to make it through tonight without blowing his nose and having a bleed; however, keeping Pop from blowing his nose is like stopping the sun from rising. He has a frequent driper.

Saturday was a big "land maintenance day." We had rain on Angie's and my off days, and was not able to keep up with it. Our hours through the week, get us home just before dark. That made Pop feel bad, and around 8:00 Saturday I was getting the equipment ready. Pop yelled down to me that he wanted to mow awhile. I mowed till about noon, and started weed eating. I parked the mower at the bottom of the house for Pop, and about 1:30 he came down and mowed for about 40 minutes. I kept an eye on him and weedeated where I could see him. He realized his limit, and stopped. He was so happy to get on his tractor, but he realized he paid for it, for, Saturday night he sweat so bad, the chemo was coming out of his pores and burning him. Sunday he and mom drove to the house for cake and ice cream, and he was falling asleep in the chair. I sent him home to sleep.

No one can say what will happen next. My observation of him, he is not thinking correctly, especially when his count is low, and I will be sure that mom drives tomorrow. She didn't actually say it, but her actions say she no longer feels confident in his driving. I was really not looking forward to this part. She said we will talk w/ him later. He really enjoys, and has enjoyed driving all his life. I thought he would be on hospice before this happened.

I will keep all posted and I have dropped back to every other week, unless something changes. For recording purposes I will continue posting for those that are interested.

Scott

Son of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.