View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 3, 2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Hi GaryV,

Although you have an "excellent hemotologist", I am a firm believer in second opinions. Your case seems complex and deserves more attention as there may be more options.

In my experience, the doctors with a "passion for bone marrow failure diseases" will hold your hand more through the decision making process. Find one of them.
Thank you for your feedback. I didn't talk about the hand holding through the decision making process. There is sufficient touch, listening, and respect of my questions in the process.

I've been living with this for nearly 5 years. I have had second opinions. At this stage, about the only question that might merit a second opinion is whether or not spontaneous remission of transfusion dependence occurs with any frequency.

I have nothing against drug therapy. I believe Revlimid is not a good choice because I am not 5(q) deletion and my marrow is not fibrotic. Vidaza and Dacogen hypomethylating agents. Common side effects are anemia and low platelets. In my particular case, I am already critically low in those counts.

I do have other medical conditions. You say never give up. Choosing not to do drug therapy is not giving up. It is a viable option.
GaryV, 62, MDS-Uncl, Interm 1, Dx 6/2006; Trisomy 9, 20(q) deletion, acellular bone marrow, <1% blasts; Aranesp 300mg, then 500mg every 2 wks, effective for 6 months, discontinued. ANC normal; chronically acute RBC 6.7-7.6 range; chronically acute PLT 11,000; RBC and PLT transfusions weekly