View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 23, 2012, 03:16 PM

Voice Changing? MDS

I am heading off to an appointment with my dad tomorrow for his 6 month blood check with his MDS doc and will ask the doc but thought I'd also ask here.
My dad's voice has changed over the past few months. It is almost like he is getting to the end of a typical cold and dealing with mucous, only he isn't.
He seems like he should be clearing his throat only he doesn't have anything to clear. If that makes sense?
He has noticed it and chalks it up to "drainage" only you can tell there isn't anything there to clear. Hard to describe but I am taking my best shot.
He doesn't have allergies and if clearing his throat due to drainage took care of the problem one might think he would be doing it and directly after doing so you would suspect the voice would return to normal if only for a little bit.
Talking to him on the phone is a challenge. It is quite difficult to understand what he is saying to due to the issue.
I have not come across anything in my MDS research but that isn't saying a lot. He doesn't take any meds for his MDS but takes other meds which he had been on for a decade for other issues (heart, cholesterol). I do know that one of his heart meds, perhaps a BP medication used to have him clearing his throat and this was a typical side effect of the med however what he is experiencing now and for the past 4+ months is different.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.