View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 20, 2010, 02:25 PM

Hi. Thanks so much for your quick reply and for the link. What a great help. We are located in Michigan, so it looks like we have an option to see one of the Centers for Excellence here. My son currently has his care at the U of M.

The dr believes he has AA, but is not 100%. She's indicated he will "declare" himself at some point. They do feel he has bone marrow failure. I would like to find out which grouping, if at all possible, especially if treatment options are different for each. Again, the 10% is very concerning to me.

If the bmb results indicate no MDS??????, could they have gotten a good enough sample to be sure of this? I will definitely read the info posted on the MDS site you provided.

His results indicated: Hypocellular, 10% cellularity. Decreased granulocytic:erythroid ratio. Erythroid Elements: Moderately decreased quantity, but with full spectrum of maturation and no convincing evidence of dysplasia. Myeloid Elements: Markedly decreased quantity, but with full spectrum of maturation and no evidence of dysplasia. Pancytopenia. Moderate thrombocytopenia with occasional large platelets. Absolute neutropenia and lymphopenia. Slightly decreased number of megakaryocytes.

As you can tell, I am new to all of the language and things to look for. I feel a bit lost . . . even though we've been on quite a special journey with our son all along.

As for why my husband and I were tested . . . The dr advised me that statistically speaking it is highly unlikely that we would be a match. I asked if it has happened, though, and she said yes. Then I asked to be tested. Rare-er things have happened, especially for my son (smile).

It sounds like you have been on a tough road yourself, but doing well. Great to hear!!!!

Thank you again for your help.