View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 29, 2012, 04:06 PM

Questions and Terrified

I find the internet such a wealth of information but being newly diagnosed with AA it also absolutely terrifies me as it is hard not to focus on the negative aspects of the disease especially when I read that the drugs are not a cure and that life expectancy may be only be 18 to 24 months. As a mum to two little girls this just makes me want to scream.

It also seems surreal that I can have such a serious disease when other then feeling tired and like I don't really feel like doing any exercise I feel totally fine.

18 months ago (just before my second beautiful girl was born) my bloods looked totally normal .... so here I am wondering whether my AA has just come on suddenly and if AA comes on suddenly is it more likely to develop into serve AA and is it more likely to cure itself??

I guess what I really want to know is are there people out there who have won the battle and do not need to take drugs anymore?

The other question I have is how long have people needed to be on the drugs for?

The drugs terrify me as well as it seems you may beat AA but then from what I have read the drugs associated with AA seem to increase your risk of leukaemia.

As an only child and nearly 36 it would appear from what I have read that a BMT is not a great option for me.

My WBC is anywhere between 4.0 and 2.52, my RBC between 3.10 and 2.32, my HGB between 11.3 and 8.5 and my platelets seem to be the ones that keep falling as of 3 days ago they were 23. My ANC has dropped to 0.53 but the very next day been back at 1. My neut% is low and my lym% high at around 82. I started cyclosporine 9 days ago.