View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 03:56 PM

Agent Orange - MDS

I served with a squadron, VQ-1 (U.S. Navy) flying out of Danang, S. Vietnam, 1968 - 1969. I was exposed to Agent Orange during that time. We flew in EC-121's, (Super Constellations) during that time.

Detachment Bravo was the identifier of our area of the airbase. We were housed in barracks, non-airconditioned, and the exposure level was high due to the chemical spraying that took place in our region.

I was diagnosed with MDS by an Oncologist at Bay Pines VA September, 2013. I decided to get a second opinion from the civilian side using another Oncologist that performed a bone marrow biopsy at St Joseph's Hospital in Tampa Florida.

The biopsy confirmed that I definitely have MDS. The VA doctor completed a NEXUS form stating "50/50" that I contracted this from Agent Orange. My civilian Oncologist presented a Harvard paper that supported the same conclusion.

I filed my claim September, 2013 and was denied, September, 2014. The reason given was "Unable to provide proof of my time in Danang, S. Vietnam.

My squadron was and still is classified top secret and I was unable to provide proof of my time in-country. I contracted an attorney who helped me to re-open my claim and we submitted "buddy letters" testifying to my time in Danang, along with a letter from my civilian oncologist outlining my life expectancy.

The VA has re-opened my file effective December, 2014. We are now in waiting, once again.

My former squadron has been of no help, up to this point.

I will continue to post as more details become available. My desire is to help others who may be going through a similar situation.