View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 12, 2013, 08:37 AM

Got to do the homework

No vitamin(s) will ever replace good nutrition. So many people want to continue with bad habits and pop a pill or vitamin to offset the damage. I am getting pretty discourage with all the "scientific studies" that either tout or discourage the use of vitamins. So much is not disclosed about how the study was designed, the overall health of the people, lifestyle, etc. Too many variables to make such broad claims. And too many agendas depending on who's funding the study. It's very misleading and confusing to the public and doctors too.

Nutrition and health cannot be reduced to just one thing that will fix you. The problem is that doctors are not trained to look at nutrition as an underlying cause of many problems people have. And, insurance companies won't pay for many of the more conclusive testing/assessments.

That being said, John's healing has been greatly helped through the use of nutritional supplements. But we also eat a very well and I've spent many hours researching them. I do feel that many people have nutritional imbalances but it's not easy to figure it out until it can be detected in the blood. Usually by that time, it's been going on for a while.

Chirley....methylated folate does not need to be converted and is the type you would need and not the folic acid like you said. Unfortunately, so many foods are fortified with it. Too much unconverted folic acid can fuel the growth of cancer cells. Your folate needs to come from vegetables or a methylated form of folate. Methylated forms of folate are now available. Hopefully your B12 is also the active/methly form. B6, B12 and Folate all come in a usable, bio active form and is my preferred form even though I don't think I have the MTHFR mutation.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.