View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 14, 2012, 08:06 AM

Cool Stem Cell Harvesting; a Donor's experience

Late October 2011 started taking Neupogen; self-administered dosage 2 injections per day for 4 days. On 2nd day suffered extreme bone pain, and in upper LHS of abdomen. Phoned liaison doctor for advice, assistance. Assured that abdominal pain was not due to enlarged spleen. Dr not interested in checking me out. Suggested I go to local doctor if I still had concerns.
Stem cell harvest was conducted on 5th day as scheduled. I produced an extremely high stem cell count, a record for 2011, which was excellent news for the patient.

I was advised side effects would disappear after approx 10 days.

I spoke to the same doctor 6 weeks later to advise him I was still suffering the after effects of this procedure. He reluctantly acknowledged that they get approx 1 donor per yer who suffers long term side-effects.
I asked why they had not checked on my welfare post harvest. I was advised that the hospital does not have a Donor follow up procedure, because enough research has already been conducted worldwide.

I saw my local GP, and had scans done to check the condition of my spleen and other organs. All showed up OK, but was advised that the pain I experienced while taking Neupogen was consistent with having an enlarged spleen. This was performed at my cost.

I suffered chronic fatigue and chronic bone pain for over 3 months; slept 14 hours a day, lost 14 kg with no activity. Had to to use 3 months sick leave.

I have had short-term relapses of fatigue, and suffer recurrences of the bone pain.

And then there is the emotional fallout to deal with. Such as
Being told how lucky am I, to have the opportunity to do such a wonderful thing for my brother.
Stress and pain I experienced not being acknowledged by the recipient and his family.
The emotional stress the process has had on my own family.
Not being treated with respect by the Hospital; discarded.

I would have liked to receive detailed technical information information about my brother's illness, and the stem cell harvesting procedure, and in a timely manner, not just a day beforehand.

I was willing to donate, it is consistent with my beliefs. I would have done so whether or not it was for a family member.
Sure, I am disappointed with some aspects of my donor experience, but I have no regrets for having done it.

Stem cell donor to family member
stimulating hormone used: Neupogen
Stem cell collection and delivery October 2011

Last edited by thechosenone : Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: extra info, fixing typos