View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 24, 2012, 04:26 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Yeomans View Post
Both Doctor here and at Moffitt, say 4-6mnths. My one draw back, yes of course there is one, I have native american in me.
Yes, 4 to 6 months is a typical estimate.

Since Native Americans are part of your heritage you might pass along a message to friends, extended family, neighbors, coworkers, church groups, members of your book club, and every other group you belong to: They could help you and other patients with similar backgrounds by hosting bone marrow registration drives targeting Native Americans. Every new bone marrow registrant who shares your background gives you slightly increased odds of a match, and it also increases the odds for every other patient with a similar ethnic background.

It's easy for people to join the registry -- they just fill out a form and get their cheek swabbed -- but somebody has to organize the event. They can click here for more information on how to get started, with help from the National Marrow Donor Program.

I don't suggest that you host a bone marrow registration drive yourself. I'm sure you are busy enough just trying to manage your health. But when people you know ask what they can do for you, this is something very specific and very important that you can tell them!