View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 03:07 PM

Sudden platelets drop

Hi all.

After BMT from unrelated donor, I'm at day 55 now. My counts were ok pretty much since the transplant. wbc 4.5, neutrophil: 2 to 4, always above 2. PLT: after first week at home was just over 200.

Since then my PLT was dropping about 10/week. Last week it was 168 - which wasn't too bad.

Today they did the test and plt went down to 87. Repeated the test within next two hours - plt came up as 101. Neutrophil 3.6, wbc 4.9 hemoglobin 10.5 - as usual.

Obviously I'm freaking out. I've relapsed over 6mths ago after 2.5years remission from successful transplant from family donor, (same disease - new marrow too similar) but Fludarabine based conditioning put me to remission straight away (unlike previous time).

When relapsed, my neutrophil gradually started going down, from usual 2 down to 1.2 within a month, and platelets from just over 200(usual) down to 150...

So now I'm wondering... can I be relapsing, the same disease just completely different way? (starting from platelets, then neutrophils later? - opposite than last time), and such a drop of platelets within a week, without any significant white/red cell drop?

Is that possible? 2 weeks ago I had chimerism results: 100%.

I'm not very good optimist, nor pessimist - just relying on facts really... Doctors obviously said: Not to worry, just only one stat drops, and platelets at that - we're not concerned yet. Come back next week, if it's still down we'll do bone marrow, then we'll see.

I know it's the only way to be sure, but this week I'm gonna die of anxiety itself...

If someone had similar situation please, share or try to advise me a bit...