View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 15, 2018, 04:46 AM

Smile One year post stem cell transplant, doing well !

First of all, a big thank you for everyone on this forum that posted, letting me learn a lot and gain confidence as I was doing my journey, though still doing the journey...

I had my one year post stem cell transplant June 2017-June 2018. The blood results were very good, all in normal range:
WBC 7.4
RBC 4.33
Platelets 183

My GVHD is considered Chronic.
Eyes: Glaucoma was ruled out, and GVHD eyes confirmed. I am being treated with eyedrops, and the wait and see approach. I have crusty eyes in the morning. Watery eyes all day. I wear a mask and sunglasses when I go out.
Skin: The itch is cooperating at last, still there, though not so itchy like before.
Liver: liver counts still high, hematologist not worried. It takes time to bring them down when on steroids, he says.

I am still on steroids prednisolone (5mg daily) and immune suppressant cyclosporine tapered down to 25mg three times a week (that makes it about 3.8mg daily). Looking back, I think my transplant experience has humbled me. I am full of gratitude to everyone and for every day.

Hope this gives encouragement to those going into transplant. Any questions you have, please do ask, I will try to help in my limited knowledge capacity. Thank you again.
Meri