View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 8, 2017, 01:04 PM

Just a little update

Had quit Granix shots due to increasingly varied & increasingly painful side effects. ANC tanked to 0.1 after stopping shots but platelets recovered back up to 106. However, Dr. says ANC more important than platelets. Had a good long talk with him. First time he did not seem to be in a hurry. He addressed all of my concerns, did not scoff at anything. Said we have lots of options - I said it didn't feel like that! He said he never ruled out wait & see but he never said to me that it was an option and really indicated it was not when ANC first dropped to 0.1. I finally got a sub-type & risk score, at diagnosis it was Primary MDS RAEB-1, Intermediate-1. So now we've decided to try the once-a-week Granix shots again with Claritin this time. He also gave me Xanax & Percocet because the anticipatory anxiety had developed into real dread which disappeared the minute I decided not to accept the shot at the infusion center and he doesn't want to that to develop again. If the Claritin & Perocet can help reduce the bone pain & the Xanax can decrease the anxiety cycle, which could have been adding to the other side effects, then I guess I can live with the shots once-a-week. Especially since I may not be able to live without them!
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.