View Single Post
Old Wed May 8, 2013, 03:59 PM

Bolinger,

Do you know whether your son is CMV pos. or neg.? CMV (Cytomegalovirus) is a virus that many are carriers of. It is also a virus that can cause problems in transplant patients.

I tend to think ahead and try to prevent whatever I can and that is within my ability. My son is CMV- and therefore Only received CMV- blood products. One of his doctors didn't think it was important as her argument was that nowadays most blood products are Irradiated. Needless to say, I fired her! I spoke to the director of our local blood bank and she advised me that even "Irradiated" blood products have a small chance of being CMV+ The Unit bag should display an additional sticker stating that the Unit has been specifically tested for and is CMV-

Also, when you get a chance you might want to check-out some of the Webinars in the AAMDS website. There is one specific to blood compatibility and some updated information as it applies to patients with blood disorders that are in need of transfusions. One interesting fact that I learned in this Webinar is that patients who present with a PNH clone whatever size, should ONLY receive "Type Specific" RBC's.

My son's new doctor who is also a Professor of Hematology at Stanford University agreed with me and has attached a Perm. message to his files that the transfusion dept. would see should he need a transfusion. Luckily, he has not needed one in a few months.

Just another bit of info. I thought I'd share with you.