View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 30, 2010, 10:34 PM

Hey Lisa!

Thanks for that info on how the Campath affected you. I'm hoping for a mild reaction.

I had my "freak out" when I got the call on Thursday and learned it was going to happen in two weeks instead of six. But I'd only had four hours of sleep the night before and was dog tired. I got over that by morning.

My wife Marcy is going with me and will stay in a hotel that's very close by (fortunately, they had an NIH patient rate). She's going to hang a round 'til I get through the two or three days of shakes and then split. My daughter's planning to pick me up and drive me back to NC.

I'm encouraged to hear about your continued transfusion independence -- and it's good to know it really can take three months or so to get there. I had much the same decision-making struggle as you. Unlike so many of our friends on this forum, my symptoms have thus far been tolerable. But I've already picked up one antibody from transfusion and my chromosomes seem to be evolving. So I figure I better go for this while I still have the option.

When I was freaking out a little, my wife, who is usually way more worried about this than I am, said, "You've done all the research, you know this is right for you, you've worked and worked to understand it and get in this trial. No time to get cold feet now."

All that's true, and I'm ready to go for it.

Take Care (hope that kidney thing settles down!)

Greg

Thanks!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com