View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 05:05 PM

Issues with Vidaza and Retacrit

Hello, my name is Mer and I am new to the group. I have been reading everything I can on these boards, since diagnosed with MDS RAEB2 in Nov. 2019. I had Vidaza I.V in November 7 days and a 5 week break. I needed a transfusion Nov 29. I had my second infusion in December and a transfusion on Dec 24th. After that infusion, My neutrophils dropped to .2 and in my Jan 13 visit, they did not show at all. On Jan 20 they went to .3, after transfusion, and i was put on a daily dose of Bactrim as a precaution for 30 days. I also get IM’s of Retacrit weekly but recently have begun itching terribly, Day and night. Benadryl does not seem to help. My Vidaza treatments have been deferred and I refused the Retacrit this week to see if the incessant itching will stop. My question is, has anyone experienced a problem with Retacrit and should I be overly worried about the neutropenia and delay of tx with my “not so good” prognosis? Sorry for the long post and I look forward to any answers.
Mer, 77 yo f, patient; diagnosed MDS RAEB2, 12% blasts in Oct. 2019, currently on Vidaza, Retacrit, 2 completed tx, 3rd infusion at 50% due to low numbers at nadir, on prophylactic Bactrim for 0 neutrophils, Dx due to itching, monthly transfusions Nov,Dec. Feb #s at normal except for hg at 9.6...!