View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 24, 2008, 12:40 PM

Hi Scott,
I have been reading your posts and must say that I am truly touched by your sense of values and true dedication to your family and your Dad's health and well being.
Although I am far from an expert, I have had three occasions to use Hospice, as both my mother, mother in law and most recently, my 27yoa neice in April of a Brain Tumor.
They are truly wonderful and dedicated people, who make "the end of life" the most caring and peaceful experience.
Keep in mind, that when you register under Hospice, the patients care becomes the mindset of just that "End of Life" as opposed to "Prolonging Life". Your Dad's care would be turned over to the hospice doctors and no longer be seen by his current ones. All medical decisions will be made by the hospice drs and not your physician. Those decisions are made to make the patient "comfortable" not extend life. That may mean for example:no more transfusions, I don't know for sure, as each hospice is run as it's own entity and has its own rules.You may at some point withdraw from hospice to continue care, but that may pose insurance issues, as well.
All I'm saying , is tread carefully as to not get into a situation that you are not comfortable with. The "End of life" decision is not an easy one to make under any circumstance, that's for sure, but just be sure of the decision and of course, ultimately, it's your Dad's choice.
Prayers with you,

Judi
Judi 46yoa VSAA diagnosed May 2003 ATG/Cyclosporine/mycophenolate treatment complete remission ukn cause. I believe caused by stress while on an antibiotic or an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. I also had ITP about 20 years prior.