Thread: Campath Trial
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 03:04 PM

There was a small summary of the trial in a publication/conference last December, but since the trial is still on-going results won't be published until it is completed, I guess

If you spoke with Barbara or Olga, their response was correct. You basically go home and back to whatever it is you do. I work in a very large high school.. I was totally scared going right back that very 1st Monday after my trial was over, but I was, and continue to be, very careful about washing my hands or using Purell. I get very nervous, though, during the peak flu season, I must say! Fortunately for me, my neutrofils have always been decent. Never had to go on Cipro after the trial either.

I met a woman at the AA/MDS conference in July and she has SAA. She had previously had ATG/cyclosporine and had recently relapsed. She recently did the Campath trial at NIH. While she had some problems afterwards that I did not, I believe that now she is doing fine. Everyone reacts differently. Some may have a fever and have to get IV antibiotics, or may have a rash, or may need transfusions for a while.

But, Dr. Olnes, who you spoke to, is a great doctor to have as the principal investigator. He knows his stuff, is able to talk to patients at a level they can understand, and he is excellent on answering questions you may have after you go home. Even 1.5 years after the trial, I still get quick responses to my questions.

Where do you live, Greg?