View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 21, 2014, 05:51 PM

Hi, Bebop!

When my dad was on Vidaza previously, his platelets would drop to around 10 two weeks after his chemo. He would get a transfusion of 1 unit platelets and then the platelets would go up closer to normal range on their own before the next round of Vidaza (his WBC never moved from 1 and his Hgb would never increase without 2 or 3 units of pRBC). His doctor decided to try a few more rounds of Vidaza hoping that it might keep the MDS at bay for a little while longer, but after this round, my dad's blood values all fell and nothing increased without transfusions. He can hold RBC for about two weeks, but this time, his platelets aren't going up on their own. His platelets are staying in the 20 range so no transfusions for now. Doctor is going to try one more round of Vidaza, but if his numbers don't improve, he will probably just be on supportive care. I know many people on here have had much worse blood counts, but it feels like his counts are changing how they had behaved previously - very worrisome! Also, for the last two months or so he is bleeding much longer after blood tests, infusions, etc than previously even when his platelets are a little bit higher. Did you notice a change in your Dad's counts throughout his time on supportive care? Thank you for your help!