View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 27, 2007, 11:52 AM

Hi Michelle-
We are STILL dealing with this folliculitis! Finally, another round of prednisone and a higher dose is managing to calm down the lesions. Ugh. Poor kid. He feels good and we are at 2 1/2 weeks going on 3 for both platelets and rbcs. No fever or other symptoms since that 3-4 day period a few weeks ago.

It definitely started out as a variety of staph, was definitely NOT MRSA, but seemed to then go wacky with his immune system. I'm frustrated because I don't like vague diagnosis and evidently although all the cultures were subsequently negative, the pathology on the tissue biopsy got screwed up somewhere along the line and now the "spots" are too far along in the healing process to be able to show anything(?) Sounds lame to me!

Anyhow, at this point I only care about him getting better and it not coming back. If it starts to flare up again when he tapers the prednisone, then we are back to another biopsy. The tough part is that the low platelets make it a little tough for the spots to heal as well. The good news is that the ANC remained decent, even prior to starting the prednisone the first time (1100).

On the down side, this whole episode has meant that we can't move ahead on any other type of treatment for his AA this summer, which is a real bummer. He will be a junior in HS this year and it will be tough for him to miss any school days. School starts here on Aug 20.

Wendy/mom to Grant
dx AA 12/4/98